The Russian Ministry of Defense has increased the number of servicemen killed in the recent Ukrainian rocket attack on a school housing soldiers in Makyivka, in the Russian-occupied Donetsk region, to 89, and the attack was led by Russian forces to the use of mobile phones. accused of using permission.
Ukraine claims the missile strike killed about 400 Russian soldiers in the first minutes of New Year’s Day on Sunday, while Moscow had claimed by Wednesday that 63 Russian soldiers had been killed.
Russia’s first acknowledgment of 63 deaths is already highly unusual, as it marked the highest death toll from a single air raid confirmed by Moscow since it launched its invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. That was it.
“The number of our dead comrades has reached 89,” Lieutenant General Sergey Sevryukov said in a video statement released by the Russian Defense Ministry on Wednesday. He said the death toll rose after additional bodies were found under the rubble of the town of Makieuka.
Sevryukov added that the use of mobile phones by Russian soldiers was responsible for the attacks.
“It’s already clear that the main reason for what happened was switching on mobile phones within reach of enemy weapons and using them in large quantities against the ban,” he said.
“This factor allowed the enemy to track and determine the coordinates of the soldiers’ positions for missile attacks.”
The devastating attack on a technical school converted into a military installation has sparked anger among Russian nationalists and some parliamentarians who are again questioning Moscow’s commander’s military strategy in Ukraine. ing.
Igor Gurkin, a former Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) officer who was instrumental in starting the first war in the Donbass region in 2014, said in a post on the Telegram messaging app that ammunition and military equipment were being used to replace military housing. It said it was kept in the housing building. Russian soldiers who contributed to the strength of the explosion.
Gherkin blamed the losses on Russian “untrained” generals.
The anger on social media is directed at the Russian military commander, not at President Vladimir Putin.
The War Research Institute has accused pro-Russian military bloggers of “criminal negligence” for downplaying the cell phone description as a “lie” and for failing to disperse troops into small groups away from the front lines by the Russian military command. He said he was accused of having .
“A serious military failure like this will continue to complicate Putin’s efforts to appease Russia’s pro-war community and maintain a dominant narrative in the domestic intelligence space,” the institute said.
NEW: Devastating Ukrainians #HIMARS attack the Russian base of #Makeefka, #Donetsk The state provoked serious criticism of Russian military leadership in the Russian intelligence space on December 31.latest #Ukraine When @critical threat: https://t.co/ou4m9DyAAq pic.twitter.com/8Q7wXA44cp
—ISW (@TheStudyofWar) January 3, 2023
The Russian defense ministry said four rockets from a US-made HIMARS launcher hit the building, adding that “the detonation of the HIMARS rocket warhead caused the ceiling of the building to collapse.”
“Currently, the commission is working to investigate the circumstances of what happened,” Sevryukov said, adding that steps were being taken to prevent such incidents from happening in the future, adding that security It added that those responsible for the revocation of the license would be punished.
The Ministry of Defense’s revised death toll shows that mourners have gathered in several cities in the Volga region of Samara, where servicemen killed in the attack came from and came to mourn the dead.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky did not mention the attack in his video address Tuesday.
In his video speech, Mr Zelensky said, “There is no doubt that the current Russian rulers will throw out everything that is left and gather everyone they can to turn the tide of the war and at least delay its defeat. no,’ he said.
“This Russian scenario must be disrupted. We are preparing for it. The terrorists must lose. Their new attack attempt must fail,” he continued .
In Russia, a little-known patriotic group that supports the widows of Russian soldiers urges Putin to order a mass mobilization of millions of Russian men to secure victory in Ukraine. I’m looking for
Putin is scheduled to meet with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told Russian news agency Interfax.
Turkey acted as mediator alongside the United Nations last year to finalize a deal to allow grain exports from Ukrainian ports, but serious peace talks are unlikely, especially as fighting rages on. It doesn’t look like